"Upon arrival it appeared that one of the employees was trying to remove the end out of a 55-gallon barrel and we really don't know what happened other than the barrel did explode and he was struck by part of the barrel," says Jerry Aders, the Greenville Fire Chief.
Satterwhite says OSHA is investigating whether proper procedures were taken. He says the procedure should have been to cut a hole in the barrel with something other than a plasma cutter and rinse the barrel out.
He said the investigation can take several weeks
1115 Mt. Auburn Road
Public File Contact: