Fire destroys ETX family business - Tri-State News, Weather & Sports

Fire destroys ETX family business

TYLER, TX (KLTV) -

A fire Sunday afternoon destroyed three buildings at what was once Belcher's Auto Ranch in Tyler.

The fire started at around 5 p.m. off of FM 850 in East Tyler, near Highway 31. 

 Fire officials say no one was seriously injured in the fire. One man was taken to ETMC in Tyler to be treated for a heart condition, after trying to pull items from the fire.

"It feels like I lost a piece of me. This is where we came and just relaxed," says Hayden Belcher, grandson of Leroy Belcher.

Hayden says his grandfather opened Belcher's Auto Ranch more than 35 years ago.

"I know this makes my grandfather pretty sad because this is something he built with his own hands and now it's just burnt."

Smith County Fire Marshal Jim Seaton says it brings back memories, "Back in my teen years I used to buy auto parts and things like that here."

After the auto yard closed, Hayden turned one of the three buildings on the property into a music hang out. He says the property was about to have a new name.

"We were going to make this into a venue in two years, it was going to be called ‘junkyard jams'."

Officials say no one was inside any of the buildings when the fire started. Black smoke from burning tires filled the air as Hayden, his father, and grandfather tried to save what they could.

"When I got here the first building was completely engulfed in flames. I was able to get my drums and some other articles out that were of importance and watched everything else burn," Hayden Belcher says.

All three buildings are destroyed. Still, Hayden says he is not giving up and one day ‘Junkyard Jams' will stand in place of the debris.

Chapel Hill, Jackson, Winona, and Whitehouse Fire Departments all responded to the fire. ETMC sent two units to the scene and the Smith County Sheriff's Office and Tyler Police Department assisted in blocking off FM 850 while firefighters got the flames under control.

Officials are still investigating the fire and don't know how it started.

Hayden Belcher says the fire caused more than $50,000 in damage. 

Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.

  • LOCALMore>>

  • Fall allergies in full swing

    Fall allergies in full swing

    Monday, September 25 2017 7:43 PM EDT2017-09-25 23:43:51 GMT
    (WFIE)(WFIE)

    It's that time of year again, We're only a few days into Fall but Fall allergy season is in full swing. We talked with allergy and immunology doctor, Dr. Majed Koleilat, at Deaconess today. He tells us, the season is here and people around the Tri-State are definitely starting to feel the symptoms. The good news is, he says, in general, this season looks to be about average compared to past Fall allergy seasons. Some of the main culprits out there right now are ragweed and mold...

    More >>

    It's that time of year again, We're only a few days into Fall but Fall allergy season is in full swing. We talked with allergy and immunology doctor, Dr. Majed Koleilat, at Deaconess today. He tells us, the season is here and people around the Tri-State are definitely starting to feel the symptoms. The good news is, he says, in general, this season looks to be about average compared to past Fall allergy seasons. Some of the main culprits out there right now are ragweed and mold...

    More >>
  • New local building project helps families abroad

    New local building project helps families abroad

    Monday, September 25 2017 7:43 PM EDT2017-09-25 23:43:19 GMT
    (WFIE)(WFIE)

    EVANSVILLE (WFIE) - A roof over a family's head in Evansville will lead to dozens of new homes for those in need across the globe.   Project 33 1/3 was created by a local builder to help struggling families in third world countries.   Every cut, every nail, all to help build a home with a bigger purpose.  "We come to Evansville, Indiana, build something that's large, something that we see very often in North America, we take the proceeds from that, put it into a...

    More >>

    EVANSVILLE (WFIE) - A roof over a family's head in Evansville will lead to dozens of new homes for those in need across the globe.   Project 33 1/3 was created by a local builder to help struggling families in third world countries.   Every cut, every nail, all to help build a home with a bigger purpose.  "We come to Evansville, Indiana, build something that's large, something that we see very often in North America, we take the proceeds from that, put it into a...

    More >>
  • breaking

    Coroner called to scene after person catches fire

    Coroner called to scene after person catches fire

    Monday, September 25 2017 7:19 PM EDT2017-09-25 23:19:32 GMT
    (WFIE)(WFIE)

    The coroner was called to Colonial Avenue after an individual caught fire at a residence.

    More >>

    The coroner was called to Colonial Avenue after an individual caught fire at a residence.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly