Firefighters responded to a two alarm fire at Whirlpool in Evansville early Thursday morning.
The fire broke out around 12:30 a.m. at the property on U.S. 41 North.
When our photographer arrived, he could see sparks and smoke coming from the roof but no flames.
Firefighters tell us that the fire appears to have started in a machine, then traveled into the ventilation system. That caused the fire to burn through an area of the roof.
Workers in the business were evacuated as fire crews doused the flames and had the fire out quickly.
Officials tell us that fighting fires in a structure this large takes special planning.
"We have pre-plans that have a pre-plan of the structure that looks at the sprinkler system, standpipe systems, as well as the fire load and what the contents are," said Evansville Fire District Chief Greg Main. "We did obtain a materials safety data sheet that has the chemicals involved. There were no chemicals involved in this situation, but just in case we did have MSDS's in case of that nature."
Fire crews set up on the northeast side of the parking lot.
They were able to contain the fire in about 15 minutes.
Copyright 2013 WFIE. All rights reserved.
1115 Mt. Auburn Road
Public File Contact: