Turn of a vehicle's ignition causes explosion, fire at Charlotte - Tri-State News, Weather & Sports

Explosion triggered after man starts car in garage, firefighters say

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) -

Charlotte firefighters have pinpointed the cause of an explosion and fire that sent one man to a hospital, and left a house damaged.

Charlotte firefighters say a man was heading out the door to work Monday morning on the 10100 block of Ashley Farm Drive near Matthews. He attempted to start his car inside his garage, which is inside his house.

Charlotte Fire Captain Rob Brisley says gasoline vapors from the vehicle spilled on the floor of the garage and reached a nearby gas-powered hot water heater, igniting the explosion.

Neighbors described it as a small explosion and heard a loud pop as all the windows in the house shattered.

The explosion also sparked a small fire which damaged his garage and attic above. The side of the house was popped out from the explosion.

Firefighters say the man was able to call 911 from his car.

Four other people were inside the house at the time. They all escaped unharmed. The man was rushed to the emergency room but did not suffer any serious injuries.

Copyright 2013 WBTV. All rights reserved.

  • LOCALMore>>

  • First Thunderbolts weiner dog race a success

    First Thunderbolts weiner dog race a success

    Saturday, March 25 2017 11:44 PM EDT2017-03-26 03:44:40 GMT
    It wasn't an easy start, but pretty soon the dogs got the hint and one championed through beating the others by a long shot (WFIE)It wasn't an easy start, but pretty soon the dogs got the hint and one championed through beating the others by a long shot (WFIE)

    It wasn't an easy start, but pretty soon the dogs got the hint and one championed through beating the others by a long shot.

    More >>

    It wasn't an easy start, but pretty soon the dogs got the hint and one championed through beating the others by a long shot.

    More >>
  • Police: Woman stabbed after argument over wig

    Police: Woman stabbed after argument over wig

    Saturday, March 25 2017 10:32 PM EDT2017-03-26 02:32:02 GMT
    It happened in the 2400 block of Sunburst Boulevard in Evansville (WFIE)It happened in the 2400 block of Sunburst Boulevard in Evansville (WFIE)

    It happened in the 2400 block of Sunburst Boulevard in Evansville.

    More >>

    It happened in the 2400 block of Sunburst Boulevard in Evansville.

    More >>
  • KY Red Cross canvassing through neighborhoods for smoke detector safety

    KY Red Cross canvassing through neighborhoods for smoke detector safety

    Saturday, March 25 2017 8:51 PM EDT2017-03-26 00:51:01 GMT
    Volunteers canvassed through a neighborhood selected by the Owensboro Fire Department (WFIE)Volunteers canvassed through a neighborhood selected by the Owensboro Fire Department (WFIE)

    Volunteers canvassed through a neighborhood selected by the Owensboro Fire Department. It was part of their "Home Fire Preparedness" campaign.

    More >>

    Volunteers canvassed through a neighborhood selected by the Owensboro Fire Department. It was part of their "Home Fire Preparedness" campaign.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly