Evansville fire investigators are investigating a large apartment fire on North Main Street, where they thought two people were trapped inside the burning building.
The fire started here in a building in the 600 North Main Street around 2:45 p.m. Saturday afternoon.
District Chief Tim Krack said the building housed three apartments and seven people altogether, and just by looking at the building, you can tell it's severely damaged.
Krack says all but two people were accounted for when the fire department arrived. Facing the possibility that those two people were still trapped inside, fire crews went into rescue mode. However, Krack says they didn't find anyone inside and that they later confirmed those missing people were at a nearby business.
Krack says the fire appears to be accidental and that it started on the bottom floor.
"I ran up to the front, the front door was ajar. I pushed the door open about a foot, and saw two chairs engulfed, the walls were engulfed, and it was spreading across the ceiling," said Scott Bassemier, who lost his home in the fire.
When asked if he had any idea how this could've happened, Bassemier said," Yeah, it was cigarettes. It was started in a chair. I'd say cigarettes."
The Red Cross was on scene as soon as the fire started and they will be assisting everyone here who lost their homes.
Copyright 2013 WFIE. All rights reserved.
1115 Mt. Auburn Road
Public File Contact: