The Owensboro Fire Department continues to work on investigations from three weekend fires.
Fire investigators have determined that the fire which occurred at 1716 W. 9th St. was accidental and was heating equipment related.
The fire, which started at 1:35 a.m. Sunday morning, involves the heroism of a 14-year-old boy.
The boy woke up to find the home engulfed in smoke.
With visibility and oxygen low, he continued through the smoke to quickly grab his family pet, wake up family members and get them safely out of the structure.
A female resident had trouble escaping at which time, the young man re-entered the home to help her escape.
She was later treated for smoke inhalation.
"There is no doubt that this family owes their lives to this young man and his heroic actions that night," commented Owensboro Fire Chief Steve Mitchell.
Two house fires break out in less than an hour in Owensboro
Copyright 2013 WFIE. All rights reserved.
1115 Mt. Auburn Road
Public File Contact: