One person is dead after a residential fire in Mount Vernon.
It happened at 2023 College Street Tuesday morning.
Jefferson County Coroner Eddie Jo Marks says the call of a fire came in around 9:55 a.m. and a female was found dead.
Shirley Conrad of Mt. Vernon says her sister, Donna Romano, 63, died in the fire.
The Mt. Vernon assistant fire chief says he believes the fire started due to too many things plugged into an extension cord in the living room. The house has significant smoke and fire damage.
The assistant fire chief says the house was full of smoke and fire when crews arrived.
Conrad says Romano was disabled and in the living room. She says an oxygen tube was faulty and helped spread the fire.
She says Romano was one of 17 children. She had a twin who died back in 2005.
The State Fire Marshal is investigating.
Stay with Heartland News and kfvs12.com for updates.
Copyright 2013 KFVS. All rights reserved.
1115 Mt. Auburn Road
Public File Contact: