Case of typhoid fever identified in food handler at Purdue - 14 News, WFIE, Evansville, Henderson, Owensboro

Case of typhoid fever identified in food handler at Purdue

Posted: Updated:

State health officials have identified a case of typhoid fever in a food handler at Purdue University.

They say anyone who ate at the Boiler Bistro, John Purdue Room or the coffee shop Lavazza on the West Lafayette campus Jan. 23-25 might be at risk.

Symptoms include high fever, weakness, stomach pains, headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite and sometimes a rose-colored rash. Anyone experiencing such symptoms should see a health care provider immediately. Symptoms typically start eight to 14 days after exposure.

Typhoid fever is a life-threatening illness caused by the salmonella bacteria.

Officials believe the food handler at Purdue acquired the illness while traveling abroad. The bacteria can be transmitted through contaminated food or drink.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

 

Powered by WorldNow