A spark from a grinding machine inside the Mid-States Rubber Factory in Princeton sent flames into the roof this morning.
Officials say workers were using a rubber press when a spark caught nearby material on fire. A ventilation fan in the ceiling pulled that fire through the roof.
Workers tried to put out the fire, but only made things more difficult for firefighters.
"Employees used several fire extinguishers to no avail, it didn't really help the situation other than it made a mess and made it hard for the guys to see when they got inside," said Fire Chief Mike Pflug.
Firefighters were able to use water buckets and hoses on the roof to contain the fire from spreading.
No one was injured in the accident.
Copyright 2013 WFIE. All rights reserved.
1115 Mt. Auburn Road
Public File Contact: