LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - The Louisville Convention and Visitors Bureau (LCVB) passed a five-year marketing plan on Tuesday in anticipation of Kentucky Kingdom reopening.
LCVB CEO Jim Wood and Chair Michael Howerton said they are confident the abandoned amusement park would reopen by July 1, 2014.
"It certainly looks like that's the direction we're headed in. I'm looking forward to the park opening. How it transpires and what happens Thursday, certainly we hope things will continue to move in the right direction and all the other steps will come in line," Howerton said.
Under terms of the plan, the LCVB committed to investing $100,000 toward marketing the park during each year that it is open between July 1, 2014 and July 1, 2018.
"We wouldn't be here today if we weren't optimistic the project would get done," Wood said.
The Kentucky State Fair Board is scheduled to meet Thursday at 1 p.m. The agenda includes approving a lease agreement with Kentucky Kingdom Redevelopment Company, a group formed by former operator Ed Hart.
Kentucky Kingdom closed in 2009, as previous park operator Six Flags Inc. reorganized under Chapter 11 Bankruptcy.
Since then three deals to reopen the park have fallen apart: two by Hart and his investors and one by the family that owns and operates Holiday World in Santa Claus, IN. The Koch family wanted to reopen the park under the name "Bluegrass Boardwalk".
Copyright 2013 WAVE News. All rights reserved.
1115 Mt. Auburn Road
Public File Contact: