Pit bull bites off 10-year-old's nose - Tri-State News, Weather & Sports

Young boy in Henderson attacked and disfigured by dog

A 10-year-old boy had his nose bitten off by a pit bull in Henderson on Wednesday. 

It's a story we first reported Wednesday night at 10. It happened in Henderson County as the boy was visiting friends at a home on Kentucky Highway 136 west in Smith Mills.

A doctor says quick work by several people was crucial to saving 10-year-old Matthew Weaver's nose.

"I feel very sorry for that boy."

Dr. Neil Troost was the first physician to treat Matthew Weaver.

The 10-year-old showed up at Methodist Hospital after a pitbull bit him in the face.

"He lost, basically, the soft part of his nose, beyond the bony, where the bony ridge ends of the nose," Dr. Troost said.

The mission then became finding Matthew's nose, a race against the clock involving an entire team of people.

Process of elimination led them right back to the pitbull, who it turns out, had swallowed the nose.

"Of course, animal control picked the dog up," said Executive Director of the Humane Society of Henderson County Kent Preston.

Preston says once animal control officers got involved, they, along with the Sheriff's Office, took the dog to a local veterinarian.

"The decision was made not to euthanize the dog right away, just to make sure that the contents of the euthanasia drug did not harm the contents of the stomach so they did the surgery first and then euthanized the dog after," Preston said.

Tim Cherolis lives next door to the home where Matthew was bitten, and even has his own pitbull, a puppy he says plays with his young daughter.

"They have tea parties," he said.  "She dresses him up."

He says he's been around pits his whole life, and this incident, while he says is sad, won't stop him owning a pit.

"It's all about how you raise them and how you show them affection and love," Cherolis pointed out.

So, as Tim and many others wait to hear how this story ends, Dr. Troost can at least confirm Matthew Weaver's nose was recovered and reattached, thanks to many people involved.

"If it is successful, it is only because everyone responded very quickly," Troost said. "We retrieved his tissue quickly, we got it on ice and we got him to a tertiary center to reimplant. It was all about time."

14 News has learned the Matthew is now listed in good condition in a Louisville hospital.

Copyright 2013 WFIE. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly