Henderson family loses home in early morning fire - 14 News, WFIE, Evansville, Henderson, Owensboro

Henderson family loses home in early morning fire

Posted: Updated:

A family home in Henderson was lost in an early morning fire on North Alvasia Street. 

Assistant Fire Chief Jerry Long tells 14 News that fire broke out just before 5:30 a.m. Monday morning.

He said the family was not home at the time. There were two cats inside that firefighters rescued.

Long says the home is considered a total loss, but luckily the homeowner did have insurance.

The American Red Cross says remembering simple tips like having home insurance and designating a family meeting spot in the case of a disaster can help you stay safe.

"Make sure that you have your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors up to date, you know, you check your batteries every six months. It can honestly save lives and that's the most important thing. After you lose your home, you want to make sure you have your whole family," said Nikki Wessley, the Emergency Services Manager with the American Red Cross. 

Fire officials say the cause of the fire hasn't yet been determined.

Copyright 2013 WFIE. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow