Local mailman stays on the job, fighting cancer - Tri-State News, Weather & Sports

Mailman stays on the job while fighting cancer

SULPHUR, LA (KPLC) -

The motto for the U.S. post office reads: "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

But 43-year-old David Lindgren, of Sulphur, adds that stage four cancer won't stop him either.

"In February (of 2012) I was diagnosed with cancer. It was located where my stomach and esophagus met," Lindgren said.

After several bouts of chemotherapy and radiation, Lindgren had the cancer surgically removed. But it wasn't over.

"A few months later, I noticed a lump on my chest. Doctors sent it off and found out it was cancerous and that I had more cancerous lymph nodes," he said.

Today, he continues to fight the stage 4 cancer that doctors say is incurable but treatable.  When he's not at work delivering the mail, he's in his third week of chemotherapy treatments.

"I love my job. I love the people. I just love delivering the mail. It's customer service at its finest," Lindgren said.

He admits though that it's hard sometimes but says he has to do what he has to do. He works with a feeding tube in a book bag on his back and a smile on his face.

"My God is bigger than any disease," he said. "My faith in Him, my family and my amazing support system is what gets me through."

Copyright 2013 KPLC. All rights reserved.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

Teens beat, carjack pregnant elementary school teacher

Saturday, April 21 2018 8:53 AM EDT2018-04-21 12:53:43 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 1:57 PM EDT2018-04-21 17:57:25 GMT
    Police Police are searching for four teenage girls who "smacked" the woman and drove off with her Kia Sportage.Police Police are searching for four teenage girls who "smacked" the woman and drove off with her Kia Sportage.
    Police are searching for four teenage girls 'smacked' the woman and drove off with her Kia Sportage.Police are searching for four teenage girls 'smacked' the woman and drove off with her Kia Sportage.

More >>

More >>

Judge accused of abusing, berating defendants

Saturday, April 21 2018 7:20 AM EDT2018-04-21 11:20:28 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 7:30 AM EDT2018-04-21 11:30:55 GMT
    Judge Merrilee Ehrlich has stepped down after being accused of berating defendants. (Source: WSVN/CNN)Judge Merrilee Ehrlich has stepped down after being accused of berating defendants. (Source: WSVN/CNN)

A judge accused of "aggressive and tyrannical" behavior has stepped down from the bench.

More >>

More >>

Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson delights high school girl with prom surprise

Friday, April 20 2018 5:35 PM EDT2018-04-20 21:35:23 GMT
    Friday, April 20 2018 5:35 PM EDT2018-04-20 21:35:23 GMT
    Katie Kelzenberg invited the Hollywood star to her prom next month. (Source: Vianney Le Caer/AP)Katie Kelzenberg invited the Hollywood star to her prom next month. (Source: Vianney Le Caer/AP)

Katie Kelzenberg invited the Hollywood star to her prom next month.

More >>

Katie Kelzenberg invited the Hollywood star to her prom next month.

More >>