LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - Several residents were displaced after an apartment building caught fire Wednesday afternoon.
Firefighters arrived to the Parliament Square Apartments, located at 290 Stroke On Trent Street, around 12:15 p.m. and found all the residents had evacuated the building. There were some pets still inside, but firefighters were able to get all of the animals out safely.
Sandra Milburn, whose mother lives in the apartments explained, "I was talking to my sister on my phone and happened to look out my balcony door and seen the flames coming out of the roof, so I called my other sister and they went and got my mom out of the building and by then, the fire department had been notified and everybody started clearing out."
No injuries were reported, but 16 residents, 15 adults and one child, were displaced after the fire. Two thirds of the building still has electricity and residents will be able to remain in those units.
Apartment managers and the Red Cross are working together to help displaced residents get settled in other apartments.
Twelve apartment units suffered damage.
Arson investigators said the fire started in the attic due to an electrical problem.
Copyright 2012 WAVE News. All rights reserved.
1115 Mt. Auburn Road
Public File Contact: