Fire at O'boro trash sorting building ruled accidental - 14 News, WFIE, Evansville, Henderson, Owensboro

Fire at O'boro trash sorting building ruled accidental

Posted: Updated:
OWENSBORO, KY (WFIE) -

Officials have ruled the cause of a fire that broke out Friday evening in a trash sorting building in Owensboro, as accidental.

It was at the Grimes Avenue transfer station.

Fire investigators say it could have easily been something hot in the garbage that caught fire such as a cigarette. 

Officials say there was damage to a side wall and heat damage to the roof and lighting system.

The operation serves as a disposal site and recycling center with remaining waste hauled to the county landfill.

"They will probably have to have some engineers to look at the building, the structure of the building, because we're sure the steel has probably been compromised inside," said Chief Steve Mitchell, OFD.

Officials say no one was inside the building at the time of the fire around 7 Friday night. 

Authorities say a structural engineer will come out eventually to see about repairs, but say as of Monday the facility is open and operating as usual.

Copyright 2012 WFIE. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow