The Owensboro Fire Department confirmed that a woman died in an early morning house fire.
The call came in just before 5:30 a.m. about a fire on the 2900 block of Tanglewood Drive.
We're told first responders saw smoke coming from the house, and that they were able to quickly put out the blaze.
The Owensboro Fire Department found 82-year-old Joan Payne inside the home. She was pronounced dead on the scene by the Daviess County Coroner's Office.
Owensboro Police say an autopsy showed that Payne died of smoke inhalation at 5:30 a.m.
Officials describe the inside of the home as "having heavy smoke damage, not much fire damage, and almost no water damage."
They believe the fire started in the living room, but the investigation is continuing.
Copyright 2012 WFIE. All rights reserved.
1115 Mt. Auburn Road
Public File Contact: