Owner devastated to see home go up in flames for second time - 14 News, WFIE, Evansville, Henderson, Owensboro

Owner devastated to see home go up in flames for second time

Posted: Updated:
The first fire happened back in March when the homeowner and his three kids were inside the home. The first fire happened back in March when the homeowner and his three kids were inside the home.

The owners of a home on east Illinois Street were surprised and devastated to see their home go up in flames for the second time this year on Saturday afternoon. 

The first fire happened back in March when the homeowner and his three kids were inside the home. That fire destroyed the garage and back room of the home.

Fire struck the home in the 1200 block of Illinois Avenue just before 4:00 p.m. Saturday afternoon. Owner George Cundiff says he was outside working on his scooter when he knew something was wrong.

"The only thing is I smelt it, I hurried up and shut the generator off and grabbed my dogs," Cundiff said.

George says he was trapped in the back yard when fire crews arrived. 

"I got home, 'I said where's my fiance, where's my fiance, where's my animals?' It scared me, it really did," said Cundiff's finance Margaret Fuquay.

The fire was contained within 15 minutes, but inspectors say the house is a total loss and must be demolished. Devastating news for George who had been working to restore the home after a fire back in March.  

"A dream that my wife had before she passed away two years ago and I was trying to keep her dream alive and there's no way to now," Cundiff said.

"He had a generator in the back of the property to power some electrical because the structure did not have gas or electric to it," said Keith Jarboe with Evansville Fire Department.

Fire investigators say that generator was hooked up to the breaker box, causing a short circuit at the opposite end of the home.

"We put so much money in this house rebuilding. Now, we gotta start all over again," Fuquay said.

The homeowners say they do not plan to rebuild the home after the building commissioner declared it a total loss. If you'd like to help you can make a donation to the Cundiff Family Relief Fund at any Heritage Federal Credit Union.

Related Stories:

 Copyright 2012 WFIE. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow