Fire crews responded to a fire just before 4:00 p.m. Saturday afternoon in the 1200 block of east Illinois Avenue.
The man who owns the property was working on his scooter in the front yard when he smelled smoke. Officials say he went into the home to get his two dogs and no one was injured.
Crews had the fire under control within 15 minutes. This is the second time this year crews have been dispatched to the home, which is supposed to be vacant.
"He had a generator in the back of the property to power some electric because the structure did not have gas or electric to it," noted Keith Jarboe with the Evansville Fire Department.
Neighbors tell 14 News no one was supposed to be living in the home, but they know someone lives there because the generator runs every night.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation and is expected to be a total loss.
Copyright 2012 WFIE. All rights reserved.
1115 Mt. Auburn Road
Public File Contact: