Early morning fatal shooting leads to police chase, suicide - Tri-State News, Weather & Sports


Early morning fatal shooting leads to police chase, suicide

Nathan Benton. (Source: Texas Department of Public Safety) Nathan Benton. (Source: Texas Department of Public Safety)
The location of the shooting. The location of the shooting.

According to the Henderson County Sheriff Ray Nutt, sheriff's deputies and Seven Points Police responded to a call Friday morning between 2:00 and 2:30 a.m.  The call took them to 310 Wood Street in Seven Points.

The officers found that there had been a shooting at the residence. The victims were Kelsie "Shea" Maples, age 21, Jerrod Chamberlain, a man in his mid-twenties, and Jerry Wayne Foster, who is in his early twenties. 

The three victims were transported to ETMC in Gun Barrel City. Jerrod Chamberlain was pronounced dead at ETMC, while the other two victims were transported by air flight to ETMC in Tyler.

The shooter was identified by witnesses as Nathan Benton, a Caucasian male in his mid twenties.

Officers began searching for Benton, who had fled the scene in a vehicle. Major Botie Hillhouse, Captain Brian Tower, and Lieutenant Kendell Wellman spotted Benton's vehicle on SH 274 and Jess Hinton Road in Seven Points.

Police attempted to stop Benton, but he fled and officers pursued for a short time. At the end of the pursuit, Deputy David Robertson, along with Hillhouse, Tower, and Wellman, found that the shooter, Benton, had apparently attempted suicide by shooting himself in the head. He was airlifted to Mother Frances Hospital in Tyler where he was pronounced dead.

The initial crime scene is being investigated by the Henderson County Sheriff's Office and Lead Investigator Wick Gabbard.

The secondary scene, in the suspect's vehicle, is being worked by Henderson County District Attorney's Office and Texas Rangers.

Authorities say the initial shooting apparently occurred as a result of a domestic dispute.

Copyright 2012 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly