Evangelist Billy Graham released from hospital after lung infect - Tri-State News, Weather & Sports

Evangelist Billy Graham released from hospital after lung infection


Evangelist Billy Graham went home from the hospital Tuesday afternoon after being treated for bronchitis.

Reverend Graham was admitted to Mission Hospital in Asheville early Sunday morning, according to a release from the hospital and the Billy Graham Evangelical Association.

"Mr. Graham had a quick recovery and responded very well to his treatment," said Daniel Fertel, MD, Mission Hospital pulmonologist. "Catching these types of pulmonary infections early is crucial for a fast recovery, as was the case for Mr. Graham. Despite this illness he remains remarkably healthy for a 93-year-old man."

Graham kept his routine and enjoyed visits from family members while also interacting with medical staff that put him in good spirits throughout his stay.

"I am grateful for the exceptional care I received at Mission Hospital," said Graham.  "It is never easy going to the hospital, but the doctors and nurses here provided me with wonderful care. Mission Hospital employs a dedicated team of professionals that administered prompt treatment to restore my health and allow me to return home quickly."

"I am also grateful for the prayers and letters I received from people across the country and around the world during my short stay," Graham continued. "Such an outpouring of love and support is always a blessing but was especially appreciated during my hospitalization."

Graham's staff reports that he will continue with his usual care and physical therapy at home.

On Tuesday, his staff told WBTV that he had rested well during his second night at the hospital and watched the closing ceremonies of the Olympics on Sunday evening.

"[Graham] watched the closing ceremony of the London Olympics from his bed on Sunday evening," A. Larry Ross told WBTV, "which brought back fond memories of various crusades he has held in the UK over seven decades of public ministry, as well as in Rio de Janeiro, host city for the next Summer Games."

One of Graham's children, Ruth Graham, said her father had a good night Monday. About the infection, she said, "It's not serious, but at 93, you take everything seriously."

Graham said she appreciates so many people sending them well-wishes and prayers. "It means so much to us. We know that people are praying. We can feel their prayers and are very grateful," she said.

Graham was previously hospitalized for successful treatment of pneumonia in November 2011. He resumed his ongoing program of physical therapy and normal activity shortly after his release, according to his staff.

Graham's staff also says that the 93-year-old evangelist has remained in good overall health the past year, though he continues to remain at home due to age-related conditions.

They say he remains actively involved in ministry and writing projects, including writing a manuscript for a new book summarizing his Gospel message over the past seven decades of public ministry.

Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly