Man gets stuck in chimney, charged with attempted burglary

A chimney rescue on Evansville's east side ends with the victim accused of trying to break into the home.

Fire officials say they responded to a grass fire caused by downed power lines on Alvord Lane around midnight.

That's when a nearby homeowner told them he saw a man sticking out of his chimney.

Firefighters say before crews could get the man out.... he fell down into the basement.

Rescuers had to chip away brick in order to free him.

27-year-old Shaun Robert Mitchell was taken to St. Mary's Medical Center.

According to a police report, he will be charged with attempted burglary.

Copyright 2012 WFIE. All rights reserved.