Spencer County is reporting a big investment in its tourism industry.
The Visitors Bureau says several different tourist destinations have invested more than $18 million in additions and improvements.
That includes the expansion of the Santa Claus Christmas Store and adding some new cottages as well as an outdoor pool and splash pod at Santa's Cottages.
A new winery is also set to open in Rockport this Summer, and there's The Mammoth water coaster opening at Holiday World and Splashin' Safari.
"I think the tourism industry is such a huge part of the county and all there is to do and see and experience. We're so lucky to have such great attractions that keep continuing to invest and new businesses popping up to enhance the overall visitor experience," said Executive Director of theSpencer County Visitors Bureau Melissa Brockman.
The following items are a full list of upcoming Spencer County investments:
• Mammoth, the world's longest water coaster, at Holiday World & Splashin' Safari; along with Sparkler, a vertical tower swing; park-wide Wi-Fi; cabanas in the water park; and two new special events: Happy Halloween Weekends and Rock the World Christian Music Festival;
• Pepper's Ridge Winery, a new business near Rockport to open this summer;
• Six additional "Rudolph's Christmas Cabins" at Lake Rudolph Campground & Resort;
• An outdoor sports pool and splash pod at Santa's Cottages;
• Full restoration of the historic 1935 Santa Statue and moving the 1880 Santa Claus Church and original Santa Claus Post Office to a new location for the Santa Claus Museum;
• Improved trails and a new horse barn at Santa's Stables; and
• The Santa Claus Christmas Store has expanded and is now nearly triple in size for 2012. Two embroidery machines have also been added to personalize stockings and tree skirts.
For more information on these investments, click here.
Copyright 2012 WFIE. All rights reserved.
1115 Mt. Auburn Road
Public File Contact: