Some Henderson County parents will soon be able to find out, thanks to a new website, what their child is eating at school.
Starting Monday, Henderson County parents can go to MyNutrikids.com to pre-pay for their child's meals and even log on see what was on their child's plate.
For parents, it's convenient.
"You can go online and see what your kids eat and what their money is going toward," said parent Melinda Davis.
But for students, Arrian Davis said, "Would you like for your mom to know what you're eating everyday? No. Why? Because she might make us eat healthy."
But the school system believes that's one of the benefits of their new program.
"I really believe this will take off," said Danielle Crafton with Henderson County Schools. "It's a secure website. You have to have a username and pin, just like if it were a bank account."
The student would then have access to that account in the lunch line. Parents wouldn't have to worry about writing a check on a regular basis or even worry about their child forgetting their lunch money. The student would simply go through the line and the amount would be deducted from their account.
"It actually helps kids get in and out of the lunch line, so they have more time to socialize and more time to just enjoy their lunch," said Crafton.
Enjoy their lunch as long as they know their mom might approve of what's on the plate.
"Do you think they might eat better knowing that mom is looking over what they're eating? I think they might, sometime, not every time," said Davis.
This program will be up and running on Monday.
Things to know:
- For those with more than one child in the district, all online prepayments can be made from the same online account.
- Payments may be made through an existing PayPal account or with a major credit or debit card.
- In order to use the online prepayment service, a small convenience fee for each transaction will be assessed to cover the bank fees. The convenience fee is $1.75 per deposit transaction. Parents placing money into multiple meal accounts will only be assessed the $1.75 fee once per deposit transaction. Henderson County Schools will not profit from the use of this site.
- Parents will need each child's student ID number (10 digit number). These numbers can be obtained by contacting the child's school or contacting the district food service office.
- Go to the district website, or go to MyNutrikids.com
- Click Sign Up and enter the required information.
- Click Finish to complete the initial registration process.
- Once logged in, each user will be taken to the site homepage.
- Click MyKids from the main menu OR from the blue navigation bar.
- There will be a listing of the students in the user's account. (This listing area will be empty on your first visit to the site.)
- Click Add Child and enter the required information.
- Click Add (next to the child's name) to continue.
- Click Add Child to repeat the process for additional children.
NOTE: Your child's transaction history report will not display information during the initial account set up process.
- Click Deposit Money located next to Add Student.
- Enter an amount in the Deposit column next to each child's name.
For those with more than one child, enter the amount for deposit into the column next to each child's name. DO NOT deposit money for the entire family into ONE child's account.
- Click Calculate.
- Click Make Deposit.
- Users will be directed to the PayPal web site to enter your payment information.
There will be an option to use an existing PayPal account or a major credit card for payment.
Those using a PayPal account should enter an email address and PayPal password to continue.
Those using a credit card should enter the required information. For protection, MyNutrikids.com will not store financial information.
- Click Pay Now when finished.
- Click Pay once again to finish the process.
Henderson County Schools are very excited to offer these new services. However, those who choose not to take advantage of the online prepayment service may continue to make advance payments via checks made payable to Henderson County Schools Child Nutrition or the child's school cafeteria. Please include the child's full name on each check.
Those who have questions about these new services may contact Henderson County Schools Child Nutrition Director, Sabrina Jewell, at 270-831-5015.
Copyright 2012 WFIE. All rights reserved.
How to Make a Deposit:
Add Students to Your Family Account: