If you're bothered by tummy troubles, you're not alone. Half of the world's population suffers from stomachaches at least once in their lifetime. America Now wellness expert and certified nutritionist Peggy Hall shares some easy and effective ways to get relief from gas, bloating and indigestion almost instantly -- and with these tips, you don't need to take any antacids!
1. Chew your food at least 30 times and swallow before taking the next bite. This mixes the food with digestive enzymes before it gets to the stomach. Peggy says, " As an added bonus, you get more nutrition and energy from each bite. That means you're less likely to overeat since it takes longer to eat and allows your brain to register fullness."
2. Slow down. Enjoy your food. Try to keep a pleasant attitude. "Don't eat when you're angry or upset," Peggy recommends. "It's better for you to cool off with a brisk walk or even a few jumping jacks instead, because a stressed tummy cannot work properly."
3. Limit the amount of water (or tea or sodas) you drink with your meals. Peggy recommends that you fill up on water between meals, stopping for at least 10 minutes before eating. Otherwise, too much water can dilute your digestive enzymes, making your body work harder to break down the food. If you feel like you need to drink something with your meal, have natural fruit juice or vegetable juice, which both contain digestive enzymes to help your body break down your food better.
4. Before a heavy meal, drink a glass of water with 1 tsp each apple cider vinegar and honey. "This is an old home remedy that a lot of people swear by," says Peggy. The vinegar appears to promote a healthy pH balance in your stomach for better digestion.
5. Sip on ginger tea or sprinkle some ground ginger into a cup of warm water with lemon juice and honey. "Ginger is another natural way to soothe an upset stomach," Peggy says.
With these tips, Peggy says you can "eat, drink and enjoy" your next meal!
Copyright 2012 America Now. All rights reserved.
1115 Mt. Auburn Road
Public File Contact: