Aces pound Drake - Tri-State News, Weather & Sports

Aces pound Drake

Posted by Rich Miller - email

EVANSVILLE, IN (WFIE)  - The University of Evansville men's basketball team used balance scoring and held the Drake University Bulldogs to 34 percent shooting Wednesday night at Roberts Stadium in a 67-51 Missouri Valley Conference victory.

The Aces evened their overall record at 8-8 and improved to 2-4 in the MVC.  The Bulldogs fell to 7-10 and 2-4 in the MVC.

Four Aces reached double figures, led by sophomore Ned Cox, who scored a season-high 15 points. The 6'0" guard brought the crowd to its feet late in the first half with a tomahawk dunk that gave UE a 29-16 lead.

Evansville's bench contributed 30 points on the night.

After Drake's opening basket, Evansville never trailed again, building a 14-point lead in the first half a 27-13.  UE shot 51.9 percent (14-for-27) from the floor in the opening period, while holding the Bulldogs to 34.8 percent (8-for-23). The Aces also dominated around the rim, outscoring DU 20-6 in the paint.

Drake cut Evansville's lead to four at 44-40 with 12:49 to play, but the Aces went on a 21-5 run to go ahead 65-45 with 3:41 to play and assure an end to a three-game losing streak.  Evansville finished the contest shooting 45.6 percent (26-for-57) from the field and 92.3 percent (12-for-13) from the free throw line, while Drake hit only 16 of 47 total shots (34.0%), 4 of 19 three-pointers (14.3%) and 15 of its 29 chances (51.7%) at the charity stripe. UE also out-rebounded the Bulldogs 40-31.

The Aces are back in action Saturday when they travel to take on Illinois State at 6:05 pm CST. The game will be televised by Fox Sports Midwest.

Copyright 2011 WFIE. All rights reserved.


 

  • SPORTSMore>>

  • Eagles paced by distance events at Bellarmine

    Eagles paced by distance events at Bellarmine

    Sunday, April 22 2018 4:01 PM EDT2018-04-22 20:01:05 GMT
    University of Southern Indiana Women's Track & Field competed in the Bellarmine Classic Saturday afternoon in Louisville, Kentucky, with strong finishes in the distance events.   Junior Micalah Booher (Pendleton, Indiana) paced a group of Screaming Eagles in the 1500 meters, finishing third in four minutes, 49.36 seconds as four Eagles placed in the top 10. All four finished within five seconds of each other, with junior Allison Rollins (Newburgh, Indiana)...More >>
    University of Southern Indiana Women's Track & Field competed in the Bellarmine Classic Saturday afternoon in Louisville, Kentucky, with strong finishes in the distance events.   Junior Micalah Booher (Pendleton, Indiana) paced a group of Screaming Eagles in the 1500 meters, finishing third in four minutes, 49.36 seconds as four Eagles placed in the top 10. All four finished within five seconds of each other, with junior Allison Rollins (Newburgh, Indiana)...More >>
  • Gibson, Sander lead USI at Bellarmine

    Gibson, Sander lead USI at Bellarmine

    Sunday, April 22 2018 4:02 PM EDT2018-04-22 20:02:46 GMT
    University of Southern Indiana Men's Track & Field was in action Saturday afternoon, participating in the Bellarmine Classic in Louisville, Kentucky.   The Screaming Eagles had four top 10 finishes in the 5000 meters, where freshman Grady Wilkinson (Mt. Carmel, Illinois) beat out junior Darin Lawrence(Indianapolis, Indiana) for sixth, finishing in 15 minutes, 34.77 seconds, less than a second ahead of Lawrence. Freshman Bryon Berg (Michigan City, Indi...More >>
    University of Southern Indiana Men's Track & Field was in action Saturday afternoon, participating in the Bellarmine Classic in Louisville, Kentucky.   The Screaming Eagles had four top 10 finishes in the 5000 meters, where freshman Grady Wilkinson (Mt. Carmel, Illinois) beat out junior Darin Lawrence(Indianapolis, Indiana) for sixth, finishing in 15 minutes, 34.77 seconds, less than a second ahead of Lawrence. Freshman Bryon Berg (Michigan City, Indi...More >>
  • Eagles set four provisionals on West Coast trip

    Eagles set four provisionals on West Coast trip

    Sunday, April 22 2018 4:04 PM EDT2018-04-22 20:04:57 GMT
    University of Southern Indiana Men's and Women's Track & Field set four provisional times on their West Coast trip to the Mt. SAC Relays and Bryan Clay Invitational Thursday and Friday, competing against some of the top competition in the country.   At Thursday's Mt. SAC Relays, senior Jessica Lincoln(Palatine, Illinois) and freshman Jennifer Comastri (Indianapolis, Indiana) each set provisional times in the 10,000 meters. Lincoln ran in the A race, finish...More >>
    University of Southern Indiana Men's and Women's Track & Field set four provisional times on their West Coast trip to the Mt. SAC Relays and Bryan Clay Invitational Thursday and Friday, competing against some of the top competition in the country.   At Thursday's Mt. SAC Relays, senior Jessica Lincoln(Palatine, Illinois) and freshman Jennifer Comastri (Indianapolis, Indiana) each set provisional times in the 10,000 meters. Lincoln ran in the A race, finish...More >>
Powered by Frankly